A very flavorful and hearty soup. This soup is quite filling, you want to eat more because it tastes so good, but just cannot.
- 2 gallons vegetable broth
- 6 cups dried red lentils
- 6 medium onions ~ 12 cups, chopped
- 3 large sweet potatoes ~ 12 cups, chopped
- 48 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 4 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 3 bunches cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 3 lemons
- Add the broth, lentils, onion, sweet potatoes and garlic to your pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer approximately 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- In a sauce pan, heat the oil hot but not smoking.
- Add the cumin, turneric and salt and stir for a few minutes until the cumin releases its fragrance. Do not let the spices scorch!
- Let the spices cool for a minute then add to soup pot.
- Add the cilantro to the pot.
- Puree the soup until chunky smooth.
- Return to pot. Add lemon juice. Add salt and pepper if needed. We add pepper but have never needed to add salt.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Fill jars with 1" headspace.
- Pressure can at 11 lbs for 1½ hours (90 minutes)
When serving, top with a dollop of plain yogurt and some fresh cilantro. Fuit and bread are great accompaniments as well.
Wash and peel sweet potatoes.
Dice the potatoes.
Dice the onions.
Lots of garlic!
6 cups dried red lentils.
Lightly fry and add cumin and turmeric.
Wash and chop several bunches of cilantro.
Making lemon juice.
Add it all to the soup pot and cook until tender.
Puree until chunky smooth.